Sonic 3 AIR for iOS and Web (Public Beta 2020.02.13)
This is an old version! Old versions remain available for people who want them. If you're installing fresh you probably don't want this.
This is a beta release. The port is not finished yet. You will encounter problems. Here are just a few notes before you start:
- Once the game has been installed to your home screen, there is a one time data download of around 150MB when you launch the game for the first time. If your device goes to sleep during this, the download will fail and you will need to kill the app and relaunch it for the download to try again. When a new version of the game comes out, you will need to download the entire thing again just like you would with the PC versions.
- If you want to play with a game controller, only DualShock 4 (PS4) controllers are working right now. Xbox One controller support will come later.
- When the game prompts you to select your ROM, there is no validation to verify that you have selected the correct file. If you pick the wrong file, you will need to delete the game and reinstall it to try again.
- There is a basic file manager accessible when you select "Exit" from the main menu in game. This will allow you to upload or files from the save data folder. Currently you need to upload files one at a time, which makes installing mods very tedious. In a future update ZIP file support will be added to make uploading multiple files easier. The primary use for the file manager right now is if you want to backup your save data or upload your save data from the PC version.
- A To Do list for the iOS port with more details on known issues and changes that are planned for later can be found here.
- The iOS version requires a device running iOS 13 or later. Following these steps on an older device will not install as intended. You may be able to play in Safari using the web browser link instead.
How to Install
- Visit this page from the device you want to install the game on.
- Tap the Share button in the Safari toolbar.
- Select "Add to Home Screen" from the options that appear.
- After adding the game to your home screen, leave Safari and launch the "Sonic 3 A.I.R." app to set up the game.
- Once the initial data download is complete, you will be prompted to select your Sonic_Knuckles_wSonic3.bin game file. This will be copied into your save data folder so you will not need to select it again later.
After following the steps above, the game is installed.
How to play in a web browser
If you want to play the game on another device that has a modern HTML5 web browser, click here
. A browser with support for WebAssembly is required. WebAssembly is supported on all popular browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Edge) released after 2017.